Gary Hazlehurst – Weekly Round Up – 2/9/19

The draw for the 2nd Qualifying round of the FA Vase is as follows:-

Gresley v FC Oswestry Town
Tividale vs Droitwich Spa
Heather St Johns vs Coventry Copsewood
Boldmere St Michaels vs Willenhall Town
Worcester City vs Highgate United
Studley vs Racing Club Warwick
Shifnal Town vs Haughmond
Coventry Sphinx vs Hanley Town
Newark Flowserve vs Skegness Town
South Normanton Athletic vs Kirby Muxloe
West Bridgford Town vs Selston

FA Vase 1st Round, Qualifying

Boldmere St Michaels and Stourport Swifts met for the second time in a week and it was the Mikes that won through to the 2nd qualifying round following a 3-2 win. Coventry Copsewood travelled to Bolehall Swifts and the game was goalless until just before half time when Copsewood took the lead through Isa Abraham. Four further goals followed as Copsewood won 5-0.

Newark Flowserve scored two goals in the last 17 minutes to progress through with a 3-1 win at County Hall. Coventry Sphinx beat AFC Wulfrunians 2-1 at Sphinx Drive, a Callum Woodward penalty being the winning goal.

A goal two minutes into stoppage time from Albert Lansdowne earned Gresley a much-needed win at home to Winsford United. Haughmond eased past Stone Old Alleynians at The Sports Village, 3-1 the final score.

Heather St Johns continued their cup exploits with a 3-0 win over Hereford Pegasus at St John’s Park. Highgate United went goal crazy beating Ellistown 11-1 at The Coppice, Stuart Hendrie scored three and Corey Carruthers two.

Result of the round was at The City Ground as Division 1 Lichfield City beat Premier Division Romulus 5-2. James Taylor scored a hat-trick of penalties for City as they collected another giant killing scalp. Tory Herbert scored twice for Racing Club Warwick in their 4-0 win over AFC Bridgnorth at Townsend Meadow.

South Normanton Athletic continued their fine form with a 7-0 win over Ollerton Town, Richard Hanslow scored three and Martin Smyth two for the Shiners. Darragh Bustin scored twice for Tividale in their 3-1 win at Stafford Town.

Worcester City travelled to the outskirts of Hereford and progressed through to the next round with a 5-0 defeat of Wellington. Jordan Harrison and Demetri Brown both scoring twice for City.

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replays

Boldmere St Michaels came from behind to beat Stourport Swifts 4-1 at The Trevor Brown Memorial Ground. Harry Craven scored twice in the first half and Jack Skinner twice late on to see The Mikes through to an away tie with Stratford Town. A goal from Eric Graves 8 minutes from time sent South Normanton Athletic through with a 1-0 win over Long Eaton United
Sporting Khalsa took an early lead against Belper Town but it was the Step 4 side that progressed with 2 goals in the second period of extra time from Nathan Curtis.

Premier Division

Sporting Khalsa opened a three-point lead at the top of the table thanks to a 2-0 win over Coventry United at the Aspray Arena. Walsall Wood recovered from 3-1 down to take a point at home to Lye Town, Josh Cooke scored two goals in the final 15 minutes to earn The Wood a 3-3 draw.