Date Time Competition Season
February 11, 2020 7:45 pm MFL Premier 2019-20


Midland Football League
Premier Division
Tuesday 11th February 2020
Tividale 2-1 Selston

No plain Sel-ing for Tivi

Tividale chalked up only their second league win in 15 games and their first since Boxing Day in this win over a much improved Selston side.

This game should have been played back in November but due to FA Vase commitments and waterlogged pitches it was a full three months before we actually faced each other here at The Beeches.

With no game at the weekend. Manager Dave King was pleased to see Tyree Clarke fit and well and he came straight in, in place of Cameron Milne as the only change to the side that fell to the 1-0 defeat against Worcester City a week ago.

In a lack lustre and scrappy first half, the only action came in the final 11 minutes. First on 34 minutes a Darragh Bustin free kick struck the upright and 6 minutes later Selston’s Scott Taylor was thwarted by a tremendous Dan Bryson challenge as he bored down on Adam Harrison’s goal.

Luke Carter then found room at the back post to get off a shot on 43 minutes but it was well saved by Selton keeper Brandon Meehan


Half Time:-Tividale 0-0 Selston

Not sure what was said at half time but the home side came out with all gun’s blazing and were deservedly 2-0 up after a blistering first 15 minutes of the half. Tividale were ahead after 50 minutes, when a Bustin free kick was met at the back post by Bryson and his header seemed to be going back across the 6 yard area before it was diverted into his own net by Selston defender Grant Hackett. Tividale had two chances to extend their lead in the next 4 minutes. First a Carter shot was again well saved by Meehan and then Bustin could only watch as his shot came back off the cross bar with Meehan well beaten.

Tividale did extend their lead on 59 minutes when from a brilliant 30 yard curling Brad Welding free kick, Dan Smith thumped his header home from 6 yards out. The game should have been out of sight on 65 minutes but Clarke could not find the target with his shot. The striker then had another chance 5 minutes later but again he failed to hit the target.

Those two misses could have been costly because on 74 minutes Selston halved the deficit, when after a great run from left back by Rory Davis, he played a one two with substitute Carl Moore on the edge of the Tividale box and fired his shot across Harrison and into the bottom corner of the net from 15 yards.

The goal led to a nervy last 15 minutes for the home side as Selston pressed for an equaliser and although Clarke was again off target with a shot a couple of minutes after the Selston goal, Tividale’s defence stood firm and took the valuable 3 points.

Full Time:-Tividale 2-1 Selston