Atherstone Town0


Date Time Competition Season
November 26, 2022 3:00 pm MFL Premier 2022-23


Midland Football League

Premier Division
Saturday 26th November 2022
Tividale 4-0 Atherstone Town

Four Days in Football

There is one good thing about having two games a week, When you throw in a shocking midweek performance like Tuesday. It is only four days to ponder on it and put it right.

It was a no brainer that if we play as we did in midweek then Atherstone may well cause even more damage than Stone did. But manager Dave King made just the three changes from the midweek defeat but made a few positional changes.

Zac Kourouyianni came in at right back, moving Jack Fletcher to left back and Brad Welding not in the squad. Louis Ezewele replaced David Solademi and club captain Curtis Cocking came back into midfield this meant Ryan Snape moved to the wide right position replacing Jack Downing who moved to the bench.

The visitors definitely had the better of the early exchanges with Ryan Quinn testing keeper Peter Hawk with a whipped in cross and a deflected shot in the first 10 minutes and then Darren Eggleton just failed to reach Quinn’s free kick on 12 minutes.

Tividale slowly grew into the game and Dan Smith forced Adders keeper Carl O’Neill to turn his shot around the post. Malcolm Melvin then went wide with a Tividale free kick on 21 minutes.

The best chance of the game up to that point fell to Adders forward Joe Obi on 23 minutes when he headed over a great Chris Cowley cross with the goal at his mercy. Five minutes later and Cowley created his own double chance. First having his shot blocked and then he hit the rebound wide.

Against the run of play Tividale broke the deadlock. A great Melvin cross was met at the back post by an unmarked Snape and he gave O’Neill no chance.

The Adders came storming back and a couple of minutes later Callum Carsley headed a Quinn corner over the bar. On 41 minutes Tividale survived a goalmouth scramble that finished with adders’ skipper Jamie Hood heading a loose ball wide.

Half Time: – Tividale 1-0 Atherstone Town

Tividale’s Smith had the first great chance four minutes into the second period, when O’Neill failed to hang onto his stinging shot but the keeper to grab it at the second attempt. But the reprieve was short lived because a minute later Carsley brought down Taylor Townsend and it was Townsend himself who scored from the spot and doubled the lead although O’Neill did get a hand to it. Even though unlucky to be 2-0 down the Adders still pressed and Hawk was forced to pull off a fine save on 52 minutes.

At the other end Tividale were still not looking to  put on the hand brake and carried on with the attacking intent and O’Neill pulled off a brilliant save to deny Townsend after Jason Wood found him with a great ball.

On 64 minutes the game was over as a contest when after some great work from Melvin his cross was met by Smith who bundled the ball home. After being in the game for so long and now 3-0 down as we moved into the final 15 minutes, the visitors understandably looking for full time while Tividale were in no mood to finish the scoring and Matt Hunt headed over a Townsend corner on 77 minutes.

With 10 minutes to go Tividale scored their 4th. Substitute Downing’s run and cross was turned in by Townsend at the back post. Ezewele then headed a Townsend free kick wide with 5 minutes to go. But in the end 4-0 was the final score line.

Full Time: – Tividale 4-0 Atherstone Town

Tividale: – 1. Peter Hawk, 2. Zac Kourouyianni), 3. Jack Fletcher, 4. Malcolm Melvin, 5. Louis Ezewele, 6. Matt Hunt, 17. Taylor Townsend, 8. Curtis Cocking, (12. Cameron East 85), 9. Dan Smith (12. Lewis Taylor-Boyce 80), 10. Jason Wood (16. Cody Mullan 74) 11. Ryan Snape (15. Jack Downing 76)

Unused Sub: 13. Louis Connor