Date Time Competition Season
October 20, 2020 7:45 pm MFL Premier 2020-21


The teamsheet for this game can be downloaded HERE

Midland Football League

Premier Division
Tuesday 20th October 2020
Tividale 4-1 Haughmond

 Tividale Haugh’nt The Mond

It’s been a tough start to the season and on Saturday these lads will have played an amazing 16 games in 54 days. So, the 2-week rest after this Saturday’s game at AFC Wulfruniuns will be most welcome to all those carrying injuries and tired legs. On the other hand, it’s been a long time since Tividale had eight days like this and I am sure some of us just don’t want a break.

On the other hand, our visitors Haughmond were coming to us on the back of a horror run. But we have learned over the years that form at this level means nothing and having played them regularly over the last few years we know they are in a false league position.

Tividale went into this game with the one change from Saturday’s starting eleven. Elliott Hartley replacing Brad Welding at left wing back who had work commitments.

The game started as expected with both sides looking to stamp their authority on the it and Haughmond posed the first threat in the first minute when Scott Ryan tried an effort that just went wide of the upright.

On 6 minutes a Lewis McPike free kick was headed wide by Joe Hawkins. Then in the 17th minute a neat reverse pass from Adam Garmson found Hartley in the penalty area and Haughmond defender Jordan Broome in trying to clear the ball, brought Hartley down. Luke Carter stepped up and drove the ball into the bottom left-hand corner and although Haughmond keeper Sam Jones guessed the right way, he could not get a hand to it.

On 20 minutes Hartley was again brought down on the edge of the box. McPike took the free kick forcing a parry from Jones but Dan Smith could not keep the rebound down and fired it over the bar.

Haughmond’s Jack Parry should have cashed in on some defensive indecision after 27 minutes but struck his shot wide. And then he was foiled on the half hour by a tremendous Jacob Barnes block on the penalty spot.

Tividale as usual against Haughmond was having trouble with the Carl Rogers long throw and on 39 minutes one of them found its way to the back post but Callum Bennett with an open goal at his mercy headed the ball wide.

Haughmond were still in the game and a minute before the break were in with another chance but Louis Irvine although through on goal his shot lacked any power and Harrison collected comfortably.

Half Time: Tividale 1-0 Haughmond

Tividale had to make a change within 4 minutes of the second half when Smith could not run off an earlier injury and was replaced by Ryan Grosvenor. And 2 minutes later on 51 minutes Haughmond were level.  Another Rogers missile of a throw was initially dealt with but the clearance went back to the thrower and his cross was not dealt with and Haughmond skipper Jack Griffiths was there to turn the ball home.

Hartley had been on the receiving end of some hefty and not always legal challenges. The majority by Haughmond full back Adam Knott and after he received a final warning after an earlier booking, he was replaced by Dan Walker on 70 minutes.

A minute later and after another poor Tividale clearance Scott Ryan got hold of the ball but Harrison was equal to his shot and pushed it out for a corner that Tividale cleared.

On 73 minutes Garmson whipped a cross to the back post but Will Rawlins just failed to get something on it. With 76 minutes gone Grosvenor was brought down on the edge of the box. Garmson stepped up and placed the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

Two minutes later it was 3-1. Walker was having as much success as the man he replaced with Hartley. The winger skipped past his challenge and found an unmarked Garmson at the back post to stroke the ball home.

Haughmond were still creating chances and on 84 minutes Ryan had an excellent volley saved by Harrison. A minute later and it was the turn of our Youth Team’s 16-year-old Alfie Watts to skip down Tividale’s left and his cross was met by Garmson but Jones was equal to his shot and cleared by a defender.

Tividale were still causing all sorts of problems down the Haughmond right and on 90 minutes they were successful again. This time it was Grosvenor who beat Walker and got to the touch line before cutting the ball back to Garmson to smash it past Jones at his near post and into the back of the net for his hat trick.

Haughmond almost conceded a 5th deep into injury time when another Grosvenor right wing cross looked to be comfortably dealt with by Haughmond’s Matt Fletcher. But instead of putting it out for a corner he miscued the clearance sending it goal wards and Jones did well to slide across his goal line and kick the ball clear.

Full Time: Tividale 4-1 Haughmond