Chasetown FC5


Date Time Competition Season
August 24, 2019 3:00 pm FA Cup 2019-20


Emirates FA Cup
Preliminary Round
Saturday 24th August 2019
Tividale 0-5 Chasetown

Tividale Chastened

Tividale went into this Emirates FA Cup tie full of confidence on the back of their recent results. But 18 minutes of clinical finishing ended their participation in this seasons’ competition.

Manager Dave King with Monday’s league game against Lye Town also in mind went for last seasons three centre backs formation. With Jacob Barnes and Matt Hunt brought in to join Dan Bryson with Freddie Watts on the bench. Also with Luke Carter and Dean Smith absent Curtis Cocking and Tom Garratt came in.

In an absolute scorcher of a day. Chasetown were all over the home side from the off and the Tividale back three were all into the action straight away. Dan Bryson did well to block a George Cater chance. Then Barnes and Hunt both made clearances as Chasetown threw in a number of early corners. Tividale held out until the 10th minute when a Liam Kirton shot from the edge of the box took a deflection off Barnes and looped up in the air. Cheshire did get a hand to it but could not stop it going into the back of his net. Four minutes later and the visitors doubled their lead. This time a Cater cross was met by George Brown at the back post and although Tom Hurdman tried to get a block in he slotted the ball home.

Chasetown were now running riot and on 18 minutes they made it 3-0. Cater finished a superb passage of play as he found some space on the right side of the area and lashed the ball across Cheshire and into the bottom right hand corner. This was now beginning to become embarrassing as Chasetown carried on charging forward looking to add to their three with Cater and Brown the main protagonists. Brown seemed to roll his ankle on 23 minutes and while he was been seen to by the Chasetown physio a water break was taken.

In the break King changed the Tividale formation. Reverting to a back four and pushing Barnes into the defensive midfield role with Liam Wilkinson and Cocking and moving Bustin into a front three with Jake Webb and Garratt. There was almost instant reward as Wilkinson had Tividale’s first chance on goal in the 27th minute but his shot from about 30 yards was well wide. Two minutes later and Tividale came a lot closer. A Brad Welding free kick was met by Barnes but his header went straight into the arms of Chasetown keeper Chris Fletcher when a yard either side could have put Tividale on the score sheet.

With 33 minutes on the clock Bustin looked to have more space than he thought when he tried to head the ball over Fletcher when he may have tried to bring it down and had a shot. Tividale were now ending the half much better but could not get that decisive goal. On the stroke of half time Wilkinson had another shot that was deflected for a corner and from the corner Webb’s shot was blocked on the line by Chasetown defender Will Weldon.

Half Time: Tividale 0-3 Chasetown

Tividale started much better in the second half and looked to have settled down after the devastating first 18 minutes and were a lot more composed on the ball but could not find a way to get on the score sheet. Substitute Beckford had a chance on 52 minutes but his shot took a deflection and went straight into Fletcher’s hands. 6 minutes later Chasetown added their 4th when Brown’s replacement Jack Dundas tried a shot from 25 yards. Cheshire could only parry the ball straight to Cater who tapped it into an empty net. At the other end Beckford beat Chasetown skipper Ryan Wynter and was through on goal but Wheldon was on hand to foil Beckford with a good tackle.

On 65 minutes Fletcher produced a brilliant save from Bustin pushing his shot against the cross bar. And a minute later Bustin’s free kick just cleared the bar. Welding then hit the woodwork again for Tividale when he beat Fletcher all ends up with a free kick. Owen Nolans then had a chance for Chasetown in the 85th minute but Hunt blocked his shot.

In the 88th minute it was five. From a Chasetown corner Tividale never got it away and the ball was worked to Levi Reid who cut in onto his left foot and hammered it past Cheshire and into the back of the net.

So that is the end of another FA Cup campaign but although the score line looks like it was a shocker it was far from it and we wish Chasetown all the very best in the next round.

Full Time: Tividale 0-5 Chasetown