Lichfield City3


Date Time Competition Season
April 12, 2022 7:45 pm MFL Premier 2021-22


Midland Football League
Premier Division
Saturday 9th April 2022
Tividale 2-3 Lichfield City

Much Better

Manager Dave King asked for a response in these last three games of the season and he got one today in as good a performance as we have produced all season and on another night against a lesser side, we would have got at least a point out of it. But good teams never stop going and Lichfield are a very good team.

Once again, the Boss had to swap and change for this one. With the two Dan’s, Smith, and Bryson both out for the season. We also lost skiipper Matt Hunt and Luke Carter to illnesses. So, in came TJ Munthali and Jason Wood the latter had missed Saturday’s defeat at Walsall Wood due to work commitments.

Lichfield started the game much the better and were dominating possession but Tividale’s defence were up to the task and it was the home side who had the first sight of goal. A 9th minute Lewis McPike free kick that was comfortably held by Lichfield keeper James Beeson. Lichfield’s first effort on goal came two minutes later when a Dan Lomas shot went wide. On the quarter hour a good effort from Sam Fitzgerald was gathered at the second attempt by Tividale keeper Louis Connor.

Tividale were making a game of this and in the 26th minute had a glorious chance to open the scoring. After some great work from Darragh Bustin, he played in Ethan Muckley one on one with Beeson. The keeper beat away his shot and it fell to Elliott Hartley who fired wide with the goal at his mercy. McPike then tried a shot from about 25 yards that Beeson had no problem with.

On the half hour the deadlock was broken. From a Fitzgerald corner, Lomas flicked the ball on from the front post and Chandler Pegg was there to head into the roof of the net home from 6 yards out. Tividale stepped up the pressure after conceding and on 40 minutes Bustin had his shot cleared off the line by Lichfield defender Max Black and then Hartley saw his shot saved by Beeson.

As we moved into injury time a Bustin long throw was partly clear by the Lichfield defence. The ball fell to Wood on the edge of the box and his superb strike is curled inside Beeson’s left-hand post for his first Tividale goal and to level up the scores at half time.

Half time: Tividale 1-1 Lichfield City

The second half kicked off and Tividale were immediately on the attack Muckley just could not get his shot off and the ball ran through to Beeson. From his clearance the ball was played into the Tividale area and in a case of Deja Vu it was cleared to the edge of the box and this time Fitzgerald met it and his strike beat Connor and put Lichfield 2-1 up within 60 seconds of the restart.

While Lichfield had the majority of the time on the ball and the chances. Tividale were still creating chances of their own. Straight from going behind again Bustin had another chance that Beeson got down to picking up an injury for his trouble and Muckley saw his shot blocked. While at the other end Connor does well to get to a Jack Edwards shot and pushes the ball away from a lurking Cameron Dunn. As the game goes into the final few minutes, from a Lichfield corner Lomas head’s wide.

With two minutes left of the 90, Tividale drew level. They win a corner that Lichfield keeper Beeson completely miss judges the flight of the ball and Curtis Cocking nod’s in at the back post. Straight from the kick off Lichfield win a corner. It is taken by Fitzgerald and an unmarked Leighton McMenemy head’s home to put the visitors back ahead. Tividale tried their best to get another equaliser but the visitors held out quite comfortably to win the game and pick up the three points.

Tividale: – 1. Louis Connor, 2. Tom Hurdman 3. Brad Welding, 4. TJ Munthali, 5. Joe Burroughs 6. Jason Wood, 7. Lewis McPike, 8. Curtis Cocking, 9. Darragh Bustin, 10. Ethan Muckley (12. Owen Waterfield 77), 11. Elliott Hartley

Unused Subs: – 14. Alfie Bustin 15. Lucas Muckley