Boldmere St Michaels1


Date Time Competition Season
October 13, 2020 7:45 pm MFL Premier 2020-21


Midland Football League

Premier Division
Tuesday 13th October 2020
Tividale 7-1 Boldmere St Michaels 

Tivi are Sevsational

These lads have a knack of following a poor performance with a much improved one and so after Saturday’s no show in the FA Vase against Stapenhill. A response was required and expected. And how did they respond

With injuries in defence and midfield Manager Dave King switched Tom Hurdman to a central defender role and brought back Brad Welding into the starting line up at wing back. With Curtis Cocking still out injured Luke Carter and Liam Wilkinson held the midfield holding roles. The inform Lewis McPike dropped into the attacking midfield position with Elliott Hartley rested. New signing Adam Garmson made his first start up front alongside Dan Smith.

Tividale got off to a flyer when after 2 minutes some great work down the Tividale right by Smith and Garmson ended with the latter being brought down in the Boldmere box. We all know this is Tividale and a scored penalty is no gimme. But up stepped Carter and calmly sentkeeper Matthew Coton the wrong way. Tividale were threatening to add to their score and after 12 minutes Garmson and Smith linked up again but Boldmere blocked and cleared.

Boldmere had their first chance on 13 minutes when an Owen Parry header was well saved by Adam Harrison. With Boldmere now causing Tividale problems with a period of pressure, they equalised in the 20th minute. A Stuart Hendrie corner was not cleared by the Tividale defence and Ryan Conlon forced the ball over the line.

Tividale should have been back ahead after 25 minutes when Boldmere keeper Coton thwarted Garmson twice with a double save and 2 minutes later Coton was on hand again to deny Welding. On 32 minutes Tividale took the lead. From a Boldmere corner the ball was cleared to Smith just outside the Tividale area. His first-time pass found Garmson and his ball into the Boldmere box found Smith who had carried on his run who slid the ball home. Boldmere were still in the game at 2-1 down and where unlucky on 38 minutes when a Parry free kick crashed off the cross bar.

Tividale extended their lead on 43 minutes to 3-1 when a McPike free kick was headed home by Joe Hawkins.

As the game went into first half injury time Boldmere full back Jermaine Johnson was yellow carded when he dwelt on the ball on the edge of his box, Smith won the ball off him but Johnson brought him down trying to win the ball back. From the resulting free kick Coton denied McPike with another brilliant save turning the ball out for a corner.

Unfortunately for the visitors the Welding corner in the 47th minute was headed into his own net by Boldmere defender Stephen Palmer to make it 4-1

Half Time: Tividale 4-1 Boldmere St Michaels

Tividale’s Hawkins nearly cancelled out his first half goal when he deflected a shot towards his own net in the 51st minute but Harrison got done to turn the ball away. On 55 minutes any chance that Boldmere had of getting back into the game went when Johnson received his second yellow card for a very poor tackle.

Tividale went 5-1 up in the 65th minute when Smith rolled the ball into McPike and he stroked the ball past Coton. On 67 minutes Boldmere substitute Harry Harris had a chance from 6 yards out but put the ball over the Tividale bar.

Garmson and Smith linked up again on 68 minutes but Smith’s header from Garmson’s cross was comfortably held by Coton.

Tividale won their second penalty of the game on 73 minutes when from a corner Matt Hunt got a nudge in the back and the referee pointed to the spot. Again, Carter stepped up and though Coton guessed the right way the spot kick was into the bottom corner, giving the keeper no chance 6-1.

In the 83rd minute McPike was put through by a Hartley pass but Coton parried his shot and the ball was cleared. Seconds later Hartley found Welding and his neat lay off into McPike just had too much on it and he could only hit the side netting.

With the Boldmere defence now tiring and Tividale rampant, Smith’s dart into the visiting penalty area on 88 minutes was ended with a poor tackle that was not in the same post code as the ball and gave the referee the easiest decision of the night. With Carter having been substituted, McPike was on spot kick duty and he made it 7-1 as he sent Coton the wrong way.

FullTime: Tividale 7-1 Boldmere St Michaels

The teamsheet for this game can be downloaded HERE