Highgate United2


Date Time Competition Season
September 29, 2020 7:30 pm MFL Premier 2020-21


Midland Football League
Premier Division
Tuesday 29th September 2020
Highgate United 2-4 Tividale
Tividale hit the High’s

After a month in which we played a total of 9 games. Tividale ended September how they started it with an away win.

After two days of correspondents between Kevin Preece at Worcester City, The MFA and the FA (and we would like to thank them all for their help) we registered Worcester City defender Joe Hawkins on loan just before the deadline for this game.

With Jacob Barnes, Colum Nugent and Dan Bryson all out injured and Freddie Watts playing with an injury leaving us with just skipper Matt Hunt as the only fit centre back, the addition of Hawkins was vital.

With Brad Welding unavailable, young Will Rawlins switched to left wing back and Tom Hurdman moved to his familiar right wing back position with Hawkins replacing him in the back three.

Tividale got off to a dream start when Hurdman delivered a cross from the right and Dan Smith rose unchallenged to head home after just 2 minutes. Highgate’s Alex Price had a couple of decent chances to level the score. First in the 8th minute when his shot was parried by Adam Harrison and cleared and then 3 minutes later when he headed a free kick wide.

The hosts were now having the majority of the possession but were unable to get a breakthrough against a well-disciplined Tividale defence and when they did find a way keeper Harrison was there.

Tividale could have punished them and extended the lead when Smith’s cushioned header from a Ryan Grosvenor’s corner cleared the bar. Highgate went even closer on 40 minutes when a Price free kick went behind off the base of the post. Then a couple of minutes later Romario Martin had a shot saved by Harrison.

Half Time: Highgate United 0-1 Tividale

The second period was 4 minutes old when Highgate had the first effort on goal. A Price free kick ended with a Guy Clark overhead kick that cleared the bar.

Tividale then put clear daylight between them and Highgate with two goals in seven minutes. First on 52 minutes a Lewis McPike run down the left before cutting inside and hitting a superb twenty-five-yard drive wide of Highgate keeper Lewis Fenney and into the back of the net. Then on 59 minutes a Grosvenor free kick to the back post was headed back into the danger zone by Matt Hunt and Smith was the first to react turning the ball home for Tividale’s third.

Feeney then denied McPike with a good save on 64 minutes when he connected beautifully with a Hurdman cross field ball. Tividale added their 4th on 72 minutes. This time another Hurdman cross was met by fellow wing back Rawlins and he stroked the ball past Fenney from fifteen yards out.

With fifteen minutes to go Highgate were awarded a what looked like a very harsh penalty when after minimal contact by Hawkins onTrevor Edwards the referee pointed to the spot and Martin made no mistake from the spot.

Then with 5 minutes to go time Martin hit a thunderbolt into the top of the Tividale net giving the visitors a nervy last few minute. But in the end the visitors ran out worthy winners.

Full Time: Highgate United 2-4 Tividale